Top tips for adjusting to the changing weather

Surprise! Yes, I’m back. I took a little break to focus on uni work and...you know...having a social life, but I really missed blogging and am excited to get this going again.

As I’m sure you are all conscious of, the clocks went back last week. In response to this, I’ve been adjusting my lifestyle accordingly...i.e. I’ve been doing less than normal, and I’m okay with that. A lot of people get really bogged down at this time of year; seasonal depression is most definitely a thing. With temperatures dropping, the days getting shorter and the nights getting longer, it’s important to take extra care of one’s mental and physical health, which can be challenging at the best of times.

Self-care means different things to different people, but below I’ve written some of my top tips for adjusting to the changing weather.

Candles

I adore candles and I use them all year round, but they’re especially important (yes, important) at this time of year. During the summer months, I prefer fruity, light and fresh scents to amplify the brighter weather (think ylang ylang, citrus). During the winter months however, I go for smoky, festive tones (cinnamon, fig). Candles bring light, warmth and wonderful aromas into your home, which is vital at this time of year. Of course, incense and reed diffusers are nice/sufficient, but a nice candle will always be my top choice.

I like to try out as many brands as possible and I have too many ‘on my books’ to share (future post idea alert!), but some of my favourites include JOIN, Essence + Alchemy, Corpo Sancto, Primrose Hill and Nathalie Bond. Alternatively, if you want something a little different, I recommend the Takazawa Candles I recommended a few months back. Abalon Star, whose candles come in handmade porcelain vessels, are also highly recommended.

Plants and flowers

How better to combat the image of dying leaves wilting off trees everywhere than to bring living plants, bursting with colour, into your room/home? I prefer low-maintenance plants such as succulents and cacti, but flowers can really lift the mood of a space, even if the weather is terrible. Neighbours and passers-by have been asking my parents if they can take a few stems of our flowers for years (often they don’t, lol), so you can even get some for free!

Food

Okay I know this is irresponsible of me but who cares? Food is fucking great. Comfort eating is 100% ok in moderation and you know what? Sometimes you just need to pig out on a cold winter’s evening. For students, cooking as a flat/house is always a nice way to come together AND save money, so it’s win-win really...

Music

This sounds kinda sad but some of my favourite memories of my teens include winter nights listening to the likes of Warpaint, Tim Hecker and Grouper on vinyl during study breaks. I spend literal months saving albums specifically for winter, prime listening alongside a nice candle (*wink*).

Company

This seems obvious, but a lot of people (myself included), often forget the importance of human interaction during the late-Autumn/winter period. At this time of year, you may feel you want to be alone (sometimes that’s genuinely the case), but it’s also vital to take the time away from your deadlines and responsibilities to come together [and eat].

Like I said, everyone’s different, but those were MY tips for making the best out of what can be a miserable time of year for some.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Top Drawer A/W 2017 highlights - part 2 (Home)

Top Drawer A/W 2017 highlights - part 3 (Spotted)

Top Drawer A/W 2017 highlights - part 1 (Gift)